Many schools in Singapore have made it mandatory that the international students of their school who are less than 18 years of age and who are living in Singapore without their parents must have a student guardian. These guardians have to be above the age of 21 years. Some schools insists on age of more than 25 years. They need to be citizens or permanent residents of Singapore. A parent or family member of the child who is residing or working in Singapore and is a citizen or a permanent resident of the country can also become a student guardian.
Homestay Singapore provides details information about Student Guardian responsibilities:
- This guardian is going to be the parent of the child in Singapore in the absence of his parents. Naturally a guardian is going to have tremendous responsibilities on his or her shoulders. Let us have a look at the major responsibilities of the student guardian.
- He will be responsible for managing all the school administrative activities. He will have to attend the parent teacher meetings and any other activities related to the school.
- The guardian will be the point of contact if anything happens to the kid in Singapore. The guardian will be accountable and answerable for anything related to the child.
- The guardian will be responsible to take the child to hospital if he or she is not feeling well at any time of the day and night
- The guardian also needs to see if the child is doing well at school and if there are any issues related to the studies then he has to pay attention to that as well.
- The guardian will also be the counsellor for the child. He needs to communicate with the child on a regular basis and understand the child’s feelings and emotions and guide him and give the child all the support that the kid requires.
- If the guardian notices any inconsistent or abnormal behaviour of the child then he needs to inform the child’s parents immediately. In fact the guardian must make sure that they keep the parents posted about all minor and major things that are happening in the life of the child.
- Overall the guardian will be guide, friend and philosopher of the child and will protect the child and take care of the child in the best possible way in the absence of his parents. He will also be the point of communication between the school and the parents of the child.
If you do not have any acquaintance in Singapore who can take up this huge responsibility then you can check with homestays. These are places that provide accommodation to international students. They provide the best facilities. They also provide guardianship services. They will take care of all the requirements of the child. They will provide support to the child and will take all the care for the safety of the child. They will contribute in the holistic development of the child.